Sunday, September 7, 2008

Holy Cow. Yak, rather.

The study trip around China is close to conclusion--I'm in Dali now, will be in Kunming tomorrow, and the following day will be heading back to Beijing where my language skills will be tested, and classes will begin. I'm currently sitting at an Internet Cafe, sucking up bandwidth and electricity at $0.60/hour.

You may be wondering "Why would Kelsey be at an internet cafe if she has her laptop, and there's wifi in a hundred million places in China?" Well, my friend, there has been a blight upon my electronics! Minor, but deadly. First, I need a three-pronged adaptor for my MacBook charger, because the outlets are ridiculous here. Second, even if I did have an adaptor, my charger is fried for some unknown reason, so it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good. The only Mac store is in Beijing, so until I return I am doomed to sit at Internet Cafes, typing on sticky keyboards.

BUT the journey itself has been nothing but phenomenal. From Beijing to Xi'an, Xi'an to Chengdu, Chengdu to Lijiang, Lijiang to Dali. You can only imagine my distress over not keeping up, because I would hate to have an uber long post attempting to divulge as much of my experience (which is really, for the most part, unable to be articulated) as possible to you, consequently taking up large portions of your time, consequently costing me many more cents for internet, consequently not doing a decent job of immersing you in my China adventures... It really is a predicament, and for that, I'm exhasperated.

The solution to my problem is as such: I'm going to divvy this up into multiple blog posts. One for each city, mmkay? So, read at your leisure, and hopefully this makes sense to all of you and solves my problems as well.

:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe because the voltage in China is 220V but only 110V in the US

redmanlaw said...

I believe I was promised an adventure involving a yak in this post.

/betrayed by misleading headline